knotworknits

July 31, 2007

Summer in Bavaria


Every year in summer there are these little beer festivals you can visit in the villages all over Bavaria. What I find so charming about them is that everything is absolutely genuine; it's not a show set up for tourists but just a way for the local people to show how much they enjoy keeping their traditions alive.

There is music ...


... and dancing ...


... food and beer ...


... and most important (to me anyway!), there is lots of beautiful knitting to see! Traditional garter stitch jackets for old ...


... and young ...



(I am watching with great pleasure that garter stitch jackets are becoming more and more popular with knitters all over the world. I know this is mostly due to the popularity of Elizabeth Zimmermann, but she used to live in Bavaria after all, so I'm sure I know where she got her inspiration from!)

... cabled cardigans ...


... the occasional shawl ...


... and socks!


(I don't think any of these were hand-knitted though, there were just too many that looked exactly the same. Probably most of the garter stitch jackets are store-bought as well, but they are still nice to look at and use as inspiration for your own knitting!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< home