knotworknits

June 27, 2007

Birthday Meme

I am usually not too fond of all those memes floating around in blogland, but I thought this one was really neat. Especially since I am still recovering from my birthday party last Friday! (I am definitely getting too old to throw cocktail parties...)
I wasn't tagged by anyone, I just picked up the idea from Iris. So here we go...

(In case you haven't read about this meme yet, these are the rules: Go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday month and day only. Then post 3 events, 2 births and one holiday that occurred on your birthday, then tag 5 friends.)


Events

451 - According to some sources, this was the date of the Battle of Chalons: Flavius Aetius' victory over Attila the Hun.

1214 - University of Oxford receives its charter.

1837 - Queen Victoria succeeds to the British throne.


Births

1819 - Jacques Offenbach, German-born French composer (d. 1880)

1909 - Errol Flynn, Australian actor (d. 1959)


Holiday

Roman Empire – Festival in honor of Summanus
(the god of nocturnal thunder - ha, I like that...)


I'll skip the part about tagging five friends since most of my friends are blogless and would be rather amused if they knew what I was doing in my spare time... But I hope you will be inspired to check out your own birthday on Wikipedia -- I certainly learned a number of facts I didn't know before!

By the way, just wondering what the word "meme" means... is it something to do with the French "même" ("self")? Does anyone know?

I'll leave you with some pictures from our holiday in South Tyrol, taken at the Museum of Ethnography in Bruneck:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< home