knotworknits

January 14, 2007

No knitting but more resolutions...

January has been very busy so far, so I haven't been able to do much knitting. Sorry, no more swatches for my Aran to show you... I have been thinking a lot about how to combine the patterns I have chosen, and about the pattern for the centre panel. But all I have managed to do are a few rough sketches on whatever paper I found lying around.


I have also been thinking about the knitting resolutions I wrote about in my last post, and there are two more things I really want to do this year:

Knit my first pair of socks
Can you believe I have been knitting for more than 28 years and have never made any socks?! Somehow, this is something that has never really appealed to me -- I guess I have always been put off by all those self-striping socks you find in the pattern books and, nowadays, on so many blogs. I hope I'm not offending anybody by saying this, seeing how popular those yarns are, but I just don't like them! Lately I have seen some really beautiful socks though, made with textured and Fair Isle or Norwegian patterns, and this is what has finally made me want to knit socks, too. I have already bought some Regia, but of course, being me, I can't simply choose a pattern and start knitting -- like with most things I knit, I want to make my own design! So I guess it'll still be some time before there'll be anything for you to see...

Learn a "proper" way to hold the yarn in stranded knitting
I have done a fair bit of multi-coloured knitting in my life, but I have never managed to learn an elegant way to hold both yarns at the same time. I'm always switching between the two strands and that makes progress really slow! So with all those georgeous books about Fair Isle knitting and all those online tutorials around, I finally want to take the time to sit down and try one of the methods to hold both strands at the same time. I have so many ideas for stranded knitting projects, I simply can't afford to knit slowly anymore!

3 Comments:

At 18:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About sock knitting: I just know what you mean. I have even found myself angry about the fact, that some really nice sock yarns only come dyed for self patterning.

Gabriele

 
At 17:19, Blogger Knittiana! said...

Two stranded color knitting... I have been slightly obsessed with that lately, and I am not sure if there is such a thing as a proper way to do it. But I am knitting the 'German' way, and so I'm holding the main color in the left hand and the secondary color in the right hand. It took time to get used to, but after only a couple of swatches (knitted in the round) it was well worth it. Knitty.com featured a good article, you can find it here!
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/FEATwin06TT.html
Oh, and socks are so much fun! Now I'm off to my 2007 and some resolutions myself!

 
At 14:32, Anonymous stricky said...

sock knitting: it took me too a long long time knitting my first pair of socks. i still cannot understand the fuzz on seftstriping or - even worse - self pattering sockyarn. but then i saw Nancy Bush's rib&cable socks in an interweave and i knitted them: my first pair of socks ever! i can highly recommend nancy bush's sock books, especially vintage-socks or folk-socks.
sabine

 

Post a Comment

<< home